This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: May 22nd, Schofield for Pagan, and a Big Game for Pops

Seven former Pittsburgh Pirates players born on this date, plus a trade and one game of note.

The Players

Corey Dickerson, outfielder for the 2018-19 Pirates. He was originally drafted by the Colorado Rockies in 2009 out of Meridian Community College in Mississippi, selected in the 29th round. He decided to return to school and the Rockies signed him out of the eighth round in 2010. He went to the short-season Pioneer League his first season and hit .348 with 54 runs, 44 extra-base hits and 61 RBIs in 69 games for Casper. Dickerson moved up to Low-A with Asheville of the South Atlantic League in 2011 and he hit .282 with 78 runs, 27 doubles, 32 homers and 87 RBIs in 106 games. He moved up to the high-offense environment of the California League in 2012 and dominated, putting up a .980 OPS in 60 games with Modesto, before moving up to Double-A. In 67 games for Tulsa of the Texas League, Dickerson had an .826 OPS. Between both stops, he hit .304 in 127 games, with 83 runs, 40 doubles, seven triples, 22 homers, 81 RBIs and 16 stolen bases. He went to the Arizona Fall League after the season and continued to hit well, batting .364 in 17 games. He began 2013 in Triple-A, playing in another great park for offense in Colorado Springs of the Pacific Coast League. He batted .371 with 61 runs, 21 doubles, 14 triples, 11 homers and 50 RBIs in 75 games, then joined the Rockies in late June. Dickerson hit .263 with 32 runs, 13 doubles, five triples, five homers and 17 RBIs in 69 games for the 2013 Rockies.

In 2014, Dickerson batted .312 with 74 runs, 27 doubles, 24 homers, 76 RBIs and a .931 OPS in 131 games. He had three different stints on the disabled list in 2015, which limited him to 65 games. He batted .304 with 30 runs, 18 doubles, ten homers and 31 RBIs that season. He was part of a four-player deal with the Tampa Bay Rays on January 28, 2016. Dickerson hit .245 with 57 runs, 36 doubles, 24 homers and 70 RBIs in 148 games for the 2016 Rays. He followed that up with an All-Star season in 2017, hitting .282 with 84 runs, 33 doubles, 27 homers and 62 RBIs. He struck out 152 times that season, which set a career high. He was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates during the Spring Training of 2018 for reliever Daniel Hudson and minor league prospect Tristan Gray. Dickerson won the Gold Glove in left field for the Pirates in 2018, while hitting .300 with 65 runs, 35 doubles, 13 homers and 55 RBIs in 135 games. He was rated with 1.0 WAR on defense that season, the only year during his career that he put up a positive dWAR number. He spent the early part of the 2019 season in the injured list, playing 44 games before being sent to the Philadelphia Phillies in a trade for international bonus slot space on July 31st.

Dickerson was hurt soon after he joined the Phillies, so his entire 2019 season was limited to 78 games. He batted .304 with 33 runs, 28 doubles, 12 homers and 59 RBIs during that time. He became a free agent after the 2019 season and signed with the Miami Marlins. Dickerson hit .258 with 25 runs and seven homers in 52 games during the shortened 2020 season. He began the 2021 season with the Marlins, but they traded him to the Toronto Blue Jays on June 29th. He combined to hit .271 in 109 games, with 43 runs, 18 doubles, six homers and 29 RBIs. He signed a free agent deal with the St Louis Cardinals for 2022 and he was hitting .184/.226/.204 in 20 games through mid-May. His career stats at that time show a .281 average in 957 games, with 446 runs, 214 doubles, 128 homers and 423 RBIs.

Rick van den Hurk, pitcher for the 2012 Pirates. He was signed as an international amateur free agent by the Florida Marlins in 2002 at 17 years old out of the Netherlands. Van den Hurk debuted in the Gulf Coast League in 2003 and had a 5.35 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 38.2 innings, making ten starts and a relief appearance. He moved all the way up to the High-A Florida State League the next season and had a 3.26 ERA in 58 innings over 14 starts for Jupiter. He was limited to just 14 games total during the 2005-06 seasons, missing most of each season due to Tommy John surgery. Van den Hurk split his limited 2005 time between Greensboro of the Low-A South Atlantic League and Jupiter, combining to go 1-3, 2.83 with 32 strikeouts in 28.2 innings. His return in 2006 was split between five starts in the Gulf Coast League and three starts for Jupiter. Combined he had a 1.80 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 25 innings. He was able to pitch 40 innings in the Hawaiian Winter Baseball league in the 2006-07 off-season to help make up for some lost time. He had a 3.60 ERA and 63 strikeouts.

Despite his limited work and complete lack of upper level experience, van den Hurk debuted in the majors on April 10, 2007. He returned to the minors for 11 starts split between Double-A Carolina of the Southern League and Triple-A Albuquerque of the Pacific Coast League, but spent the rest of the season as a starter in the majors, going 4-6, 6.83 in 81.2 innings, with 82 strikeouts. He was injured for part of 2008 and made 14 minor league starts as well, split between Carolina and Albuquerque. He went 5-4, 4.19, with 76 strikeouts in 73 innings in the minors that season. With the Marlins that year, he made four starts and had a 7.71 ERA and 20 strikeouts in 14 innings. The 2009 season was split between the minors and majors. He had a 4.30 ERA in 58.2 innings over 11 starts with the Marlins, and a 3.02 ERA in 11 starts with the Marlins new Triple-A affiliate, New Orleans of the Pacific Coast League. In 2010, van den Hurk split the season between the Marlins and Baltimore Orioles, though he spent most of the year in Triple-A. He played nine big league games that season (seven with the Orioles) and had a 5.09 ERA and 18 strikeouts in 17.2 innings. His big league work was limited to nine innings and nine runs allowed during the 2011 season with the Orioles, where he made two starts and two relief appearances. He was a full-time starter with Norfolk of the Triple-A International League that year, going 9-13, 4.43 in 154.1 innings.

Van der Hurk was released by the Orioles in early February of 2012 and signed three weeks later with Toronto Blue Jays. He was lost on waivers a month later to the Cleveland Indians, who parted ways with him just two weeks later. A few days later he signed with the Pirates and spent most of the year in Triple-A, where he went 13-5, 2.92, with 113 strikeouts in 123.1 innings for Indianapolis of the International League. He joined the Pirates in September and pitched four times out of the bullpen, allowing four runs in 2.2 innings. That was the end of his big league career, but his pro career continued on through the end of the 2021 season. He officially retired in April of 2022. He spent the 2015-21 seasons in Japan, where he went 43-20, 3.78 in 514 innings. Van den Hurk played in Korea during the 2013-14 season. In the majors, he went 8-11, 6.08 in 138.2 innings over 35 starts and 15 relief appearances. He finished his 19-year pro career just shy of 2,000 innings pitched (1,996).

Jose Mesa, reliever for the 2004-05 Pirates. He was signed by the Toronto Blue Jays as an amateur free agent out of the Dominican Republic in 1981 at 15 years old. He pitched 83.1 innings in the Gulf Coast League at 16 years old in 1982, posting a 2.70 ERA, with six complete games and three shutouts. He then made it to full-season ball at age 17 in 1983, posting a 5.48 ERA in 141.1 innings with Florence of the South Atlantic League. The next season was split between Florence and Kinston of the Avanced-A Carolina League, which resulted in a combined 3.84 ERA in 89 innings over 16 starts and one relief appearances. Mesa struggled in a full season with Kinston in 1985, putting up a 5-10, 6.16 record in 106.2 innings, with 79 walks and 71 strikeouts. The next year saw him reach Double-A Knoxville of the Southern League late in the season for eight starts and a relief outing, after playing out most of the year with Ventura County of the Advanced-A California League. He had a combined 12-8, 3.97 record in 183.2 innings, with 143 strikeouts. The Baltimore Orioles acquired him in September of 1987 and had him up in the majors for the final month of the season, though he spent the next two full seasons in the minors. Mesa spent the minor league portion of his 1987 season in Knoxville, where he went 10-13, 5.21 in 193.1 innings over 35 starts. He had a 6.03 ERA in 31.1 innings during his first trial with the Orioles that same year.

Mesa spent the 1988 season with Rochester of the International League, though he was limited to two starts and nine relief appearances. He had an 8.62 ERA in 15.2 innings, with 14 walks and 15 strikeouts. His season ended in July due to surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow. He was said to be healthy going into 1989, but he pitched just ten times all season (four starts), throwing a total of 23 innings. That year his season ended in May due to right elbow surgery. The 1990 season was almost a full year. Mesa made 15 starts for Hagerstown of the Double-A Eastern League, and then four starts for Rochester, before making it back to the majors. He combined to go 6-7, 3.17, with 95 strikeouts in 105 innings between both minor league stops. When he returned to the Orioles in 1990, it was for seven late-season starts in which he had a 3.86 ERA in 46.2 innings. Mesa made eight starts for Rochester in 1991, but the majority of the year was spent in the majors, where he had 23 starts for the Orioles, going 6-11, 5.97 in 123.2 innings. The 1992 season started with him making 12 starts and one relief appearance for Baltimore. Mesa was traded in the middle of 1992 to the Cleveland Indians. He went 7-12, 4.59 in 160.2 innings that year between both stops, with slightly better results after the trade. The Indians stayed with him as a starter in 1993, before moving him to a full-time relief role during the strike-shortened 1994 season. He went 10-12, 4.92 in a career high 208.2 innings over 33 starts in 1993. He had a career high 118 strikeouts that year, the only time he reached the century mark in strikeouts. That was followed by 51 relief appearances in 1994, when he went 7-5, 3.82 in 73 innings. He picked up his first two saves that season.

Mesa was moved to the closer spot in 1995 and led the league in saves (46) for the only time in his career. He had a 1.13 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 64 innings over 62 appearances. He was an All-Star for the first time, finished second in the Cy Young voting and fourth in the MVP voting. Mesa pitched eight times in the 1995 postseason, as the Indians just missed winning their first World Series title since 1948. He allowed a total of three runs in ten innings, though none of the runs he allowed ended up costing his team a win. In 1996, Mesa had 39 saves and he made his second (and final) All-Star appearance, but he was nowhere near the pitcher from the previous year. He went 2-7, 3.73 in 72.1 innings over 69 appearances. The Indians returned to the World Series in 1997 and he improved, while spending just part of the season in the closer role. He went 4-4, 2.40 in 82.1 innings over 66 appearances, while saving 16 games. In the postseason, he blew three save chances, including game seven of the World Series, which was won by the Florida Marlins. He gave up one run in six of his 11 appearances that postseason.

Mesa struggled in 1998 and was shipped to the San Francisco Giants mid-season. He combined to go 8-7, 4.57 in in 84.2 innings over 76 appearances, with just one save. He had much better results in his 32 games with the Giants. He became a free agent after the season and spent the next two years with the Seattle Mariners, where he went 7-12, 5.18 in 149.1 innings over 134 appearances, with 34 saves. That save number is a bit deceiving, as he had 33 saves in 1999 and one in 2000, when he was seeing slightly longer outings, pitching 80.2 innings over 66 games. He threw 68.2 innings over 68 games in 1999 in the closer role. He got another chance to pitch in the playoffs in 2000, but he allowed six runs over 4.1 innings in the ALCS series loss to the New York Yankees. Mesa signed with the Philadelphia Phillies for the next three seasons and put up strong numbers in 2001-02, posting ERAs of 2.34 in 69.1 innings over 71 games in 2001, and then a 2.97 mark in 75.2 innings over 74 outings. He saved a total of 87 games those two years, though that time it was nearly an even split. His 42 saves in 2001 placed in fifth in the National League, while his 45 saves in 2002 placed him fourth in the league. The 2003 season didn’t go as well, with a 6.52 ERA and 24 saves in 58 innings over 61 appearances.

Mesa signed with the Pirates on January 30, 2004. In his first season with the team, he went 5-2, 3.25 in 69.1 innings, with 43 saves. He fell just three saves short of the team record at the time, set two years earlier by Mike Williams. Mesa went 2-8, 4.76 in 56.2 innings over 55 appearances in 2005, with 27 saves. He left via free agency after the season and spent 2006 with the Colorado Rockies, where he went 1-5, 3.86 in 72.1 innings over a career high 79 appearances. The 2007 season was his last year, and it was split between the Detroit Tigers and Phillies. He had a 7.11 ERA and one save in 50.2 innings over 56 games in his final season. He saved just two games after leaving Pittsburgh. His final appearance in pro ball was another tough postseason game, allowing three runs while recording just one out in the NLDS loss to the Rockies. Mesa pitched 1,022 games during his 19 seasons in the majors, going 80-109, 4.36 with 321 saves and 1,548.2 innings pitched. He ranks 20th all-time in saves and 12 in games pitched. His son Jose Mesa Jr is a current minor league pitcher in his ninth season of pro ball.

Julian Tavarez, reliever for the 2003 Pirates. He signed with the Cleveland Indians in 1990 as an international amateur free agent out of the Dominican Republic at 16 years old. It took him just over three years to make his big league debut, not long after his 20th birthday. Tavarez pitched his first two seasons in the Dominican Summer League (no stats available) before moving to the U.S. for the 1992 season, where he played in the Appalachian League for Burlington. He went 6-3, 2.68 in 83.1 innings over 14 starts that year. He skipped to High-A Kinston of the Carolina League for the next season and did so well in 18 starts (11-5, 2.42 in 119 innings) that he got bumped up to Double-A Canton-Akron of the Eastern League. After just three appearances in which he gave up two runs over 19 innings, he joined the Indians in early August and made seven starts and one relief appearance, going 2-2, 6.57 in 37 innings. The 1994 season was mostly spent in Triple-A with Charlotte of the International League, where he went 15-6, 3.48 in 176 innings over 26 starts. He made a start for the Indians in May and allowed eight runs in 1.2 innings. The 1995 season was spent entirely in the majors as a full-time reliever. He went 10-2, 2.44 in 85 innings over 57 games. Tavarez struggled in 1996, with a 5.36 ERA in 80.2 innings, which were spread out over four starts and 47 relief outings. Over the 1996-97 off-season, he was part of a large trade with the San Francisco Giants that included Jeff Kent and Matt Williams.

With the 1997 Giants, Tavarez led the National League with 89 games pitched. He had a 6-4, 3.87 record in 88.1 innings, while striking out 38 batters. He was used more in extended relief in 1998, pitching 85.1 innings over 60 appearances, while posting a 3.80 ERA, finishing with a 5-3 record and his first career save. His performance dropped off significantly in 1999, with a 5.93 ERA in 54.2 innings over 57 appearances. The Giants decided to part ways and he was claimed on waivers by the Colorado Rockies on November 21, 1999. Tavarez saw some starting pitching work in 2000, going 11-5, 4.43 in 120 innings, with 12 starts and 39 relief appearances. He signed with the Chicago Cubs for 2001 and pitched almost exclusively in the rotation (28 starts in 34 games), going 10-9, 4.52 in a career high 161.1 innings. He had 107 strikeouts that year, which was the only time he reached the century mark in strikeouts for a season. During Spring Training of 2002, the Cubs traded him to the Florida Marlins, where he went 10-12, 5.39 in 153.2 innings over 27 starts and two relief outings.

Tavarez signed with the Pirates as a free agent in January of 2003 and was moved back to the bullpen. He made 64 appearances for Pittsburgh, pitching 83.2 innings with a 3-3, 3.66 record and 11 saves. He became a free agent after the season and signed with the St Louis Cardinals. He had a great first season in St Louis, posting a 7-4 record and a 2.38 ERA in 63.1 innings over 77 appearances. He was solid the next year, going 2-3, 3.43 in 65.2 innings in 74 games. He had four saves in each of his two seasons with the Cardinals. He signed with the Boston Red Sox in 2006 and remained there until he was released late in May of 2008. Tavarez had a 4.47 ERA in 98.2 innings in 2006, making 52 relief appearances and six starts. He saw more time in the rotation in 2007, making 23 starts and 11 relief appearances. He had a 7-11, 5.15 record in 134.2 innings, but the Red Sox were still able to win the World Series title that season. The 2008 season was split between Boston, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Atlanta Braves. He combined for a 4.72 ERA in 42 innings. His final season in the majors in 2009 saw him post a 4.89 ERA in 42 outings for the Washington Nationals. He only pitched in relief during his final two seasons in the majors. While his big league career was over at that point, he still pitched winter ball for the next three years, with stops in the Dominican, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Tavarez pitched 17 seasons in the majors, getting into a total of 828 games, 108 as a starter. He went 88-82, 4.46 in 1,404.1 innings. His 11 saves with the Pirates were nearly half of his big league total of 23 saves. He made 31 postseason appearances during his career and had a 3.52 ERA.

George Spriggs, outfielder for the 1965-67 Pirates. Before he joined minor league baseball, Spriggs spent time playing Negro League baseball with the Kansas City Monarchs and Detroit Stars, while also seeing two years in the military. The Pirates signed Spriggs as an amateur free agent in 1963. The signing scout was Joe Consoli, who would sign George “Geno” Spriggs Jr for the Pirates 24 years later out of high school. The elder Spriggs signed just before his 26th birthday and went to A-Ball, playing for Reno of the California League, where he hit .319 with 125 runs, 30 extra-base hits, 61 RBIs, 107 walks and 44 steals in 133 games. He moved up to Double-A Asheville of the Southern League for the next year and batted .322 with 96 runs, 14 doubles, ten triples, 16 homers, 53 RBIs, 70 walks and 33 steals. His .888 OPS that year was .001 higher than his previous season’s mark. Spriggs hit a bit of a wall in his first year at Triple-A Columbus of the International League, batting .240 in 136 games, with 88 runs, 30 extra-base hits, 57 walks and a .661 OPS, though he managed to steal 66 bases. That speed helped him get a September shot with the Pirates, where he batted just twice in nine games, getting mostly pinch-running opportunities. He went 1-for-2 with five runs and two steals. In 1966, he batted .300 with 15 homers, 75 walks and 34 steals in 133 games for Columbus, improving his OPS to an .845 mark. Once again he got a September look with the Pirates and he was given more hitting chances, but still batted just seven times in nine games.

Spriggs finally got an extended look in 1967, playing with the Pirates from Opening Day through late June. He hit .175 in 38 games before going back to Columbus, where he had a .683 OPS in 81 games. He didn’t make a single start in his first two trials, but got nine starts in 1967 and batted 66 times. He ended up scoring 14 runs while collecting just ten hits. The Pirates lost him after the 1967 season in the Rule 5 draft to the Boston Red Sox, who ended up returning him in April. Spriggs spent all of 1968 in Columbus, hitting .275 in 138 games, with 28 extra-base hits, 46 steals and 65 walks, then was sold to the expansion Kansas City Royals at the end of the season. He played 23 games in the majors for the Royals in 1969, though he batted just 33 times. He got into 51 games in 1970, when he hit .208 with his only big league homer. The Royals sold him to the New York Mets during Spring Training in 1971, and his career ended in 1972. He played just four Triple-A games in 1971, then finished up with 41 games in 1972, so he barely played during his final two seasons of pro ball. He suffered a broken leg that ended his season in mid-April in 1971, then got released in July of 1972, ending his pro career. Spriggs finished his five-year big league career with a .191 average in 130 games, getting a total of 253 plate appearances. He scored 35 runs, with 11 extra-base hits, 12 RBIs and nine stolen bases. He stole 324 bases in the minors. As mentioned, his son was signed by the same Pirates scout. The young Spriggs was a 31st round pick in 1987, who played 90 games over two seasons with the Pirates before passing away tragically at 20 years old in December of 1988 in a car accident.

Hoke Warner, infielder for the 1916-17 and 1919 Pirates. He played four years in the minors before getting his first chance with the 1916 Pirates. Warner spent his first two seasons of pro ball with Jackson of the Southern Michigan League. In 1913 when he was 19 years old, the league was considered to be a Class-D league. In 1914, it was considered to be one level higher at Class-C. Warner batted .298 in 40 games during his first season with Jackson. The next year he hit .305 in 128 games, with 24 doubles, five triples, 20 steals and a .713 OPS. He spent part of the 1915 season with Jackson, but split the year between three teams. He hit .245 with 12 runs, four doubles and eight steals in 46 games for Dayton of the Class-B Central League, while playing the rest of the season (56 games) in the Southern Michigan League (Jackson and Saginaw), where his full stats are unavailable. Before joining the Pirates, Warner was with Dayton in 1916, where he batted .318 in 105 games. On July 12th, he was purchased by the Pirates and local fans were told that he was considered to be the fastest player in the Central League, who also offered strong defense at a young age. Pirates manager Jimmy Callahan saw him playing a doubleheader three days earlier and he encouraged owner Barney Dreyfuss to meet Dayton’s purchase price of $4,000. Warner was supposedly going to finish the season in Dayton on September 10th, but he reported to the Pirates three weeks earlier.

Warner opened his Pirates career on August 21, 1916, batting lead-off in both games of a doubleheader, while playing third base. His fielding was good that day, but at the plate he collected just one single, although it came off of Grover Alexander, a pitcher who would win 373 career games and go on to the Hall of Fame. Warner would play 44 games that rookie season, hitting .238 with 12 runs, four extra-base hits, 14 RBIs, six steals and a .556 OPS. He played three games in 1917 for the Pirates, going 1-for-5 at the plate during his brief time. On May 14, 1917, he was released to Wilkes-Barre of the Class-B New York-Penn League. Warner hit .305 in 114 games that season for Wilkes-Barre. On October 9, 1917, it was announced that he was drafted into military service during WWI, which caused him to miss the entire 1918 season. While still on active duty in France in March of 1919, the Pirates reportedly traded Warner and Gus Getz to Toledo of the Double-A American Association for some catching help, acquiring veteran Ed Sweeney. However, Warner returned home in mid-May and reported to the Pirates a short time later to get into shape to play.

Warner made his 1919 debut on June 18th as a pinch-runner, and he played his final game for the Pirates on July 24th as a pinch-runner. He played four games in the middle of that 37-day stretch, three as the starting third baseman. He went 1-for-8 with two RBIs and three walks for the Pirates that season. He also spent some time in the minors that year, hitting .250 in 27 games for the Kansas City Blues of the American Association, after being released to them on July 29th. Warner next played for the 1921 Chicago Cubs, getting into 14 games, in what is his only known pro experience after the 1919 season. Chicago purchased his contract from Kansas City in January of 1921, but he did not play for the Blues during the 1920 season. He told the team that their contract wasn’t significant enough and he opened his own restaurant in the Pittsburgh area instead, while also playing semi-pro ball. Warner hit .211 with four runs, three RBIs and a .505 OPS during his brief time with the Cubs before being released on June 20th. His final big league stats show a .228 average in 67 games, with 16 runs, five extra-base hits and 19 RBIs. He had the nickname Hooks, but he’s the only big league player with the first name Hoke.

Tom McCarthy, pitcher for the 1908 Pirates. He made his pro debut with the Mount Clemens Bathers of the Southern Michigan League, considered to be Class-D ball, which was the lowest level of the minors at the time. There are no pitching stats available, but he’s credited with hitting .284 in 61 games. McCarthy moved up three levels to Newark of the Class-A Eastern League in 1907 (highest level of the minors at the time), where he had an 18-12 record and pitched 258 innings. The ERA numbers aren’t available for the league, but he allowed 2.93 runs per nine innings. He also did well at the plate for a pitcher, hitting .279 with five doubles and a homer in 56 games. He reportedly had his contract purchased by the New York Giants in August of 1907, but never pitched for them, and by October of 1907 there were reports that he would get a tryout with the Cincinnati Reds. He made his Major League debut with the Reds on May 10, 1908, starting the second game of a doubleheader. McCarthy allowed five runs in 3.2 innings, taking the loss in an 8-7 game. Shortly after that game, and before he could pitch again for Cincinnati, the Pirates picked him up on waivers for $1,500. When he showed up to Pittsburgh, McCarthy told the local papers that he didn’t pitch with the Reds because he got sick during Spring Training and took time to recover, then got hit with a line drive on his knee during practice in mid-May and couldn’t pitch, though he was healthy when he reached the Pirates. On May 30th/31st, the Pirates played two doubleheaders and McCarthy got the start in the final game played over those two days. He won 13-3, in what would turn out to be his only start for the Pirates. He also had one relief appearance coming on June 9th in which he allowed one run over three innings.

On June 18, 1908, McCarthy was traded to the Boston Doves, along with pitcher Harley Young, in exchange for veteran pitcher Irv Young. The veteran Young was supposed to help the Pirates with their pennant run, but McCarthy ended up being the best pitcher of the group during the duration of the 1908 season. He would go 7-3 with a 1.63 ERA in 94 innings over 14 appearances for the Doves. In 11 starts for Boston, he had seven complete games and two shutouts. One of those shutouts came against the Pirates on July 17, 1908 in Pittsburgh. Despite the strong work after the trade in 1908, he was unable to pick up his first win of the 1909 season through the middle of July, before he was sent to the minors with an 0-5, 3.50 record in 46.1 innings. McCarthy never returned to the majors, finishing his career in the minors in 1911. McCarthy finished out the 1909 season with Hartford of the Class-B Connecticut State League. He was traded to Indianapolis of the American Association prior to the 1910 season, but an arm injury limited his work, and he was released in July. He returned to Hartford during his final season of pro ball, where he went 15-9 and pitched 207 innings. He finished up his big league career with a 7-9, 2.34 record in 150 innings. There was an interesting note from very early in his time in Boston. McCarthy was introduced to Tommy McCarthy, the Hall of Fame outfielder who also played on Boston. Despite the star outfielder retiring just 12 years earlier when the younger McCarthy was 12 years old, the younger McCarthy said that he had never heard of the future Hall of Famer.

The Trades

On this date in 1965, the Pirates traded shortstop Dick Schofield to the San Francisco Giants for Jose Pagan. Schofield was 30 years old at the time, in his 13th season in the majors. He came up with the St Louis Cardinals as an 18-year-old in 1953 and he had been with the Pirates since 1958. At the time of the trade, he was batting .229 in 31 games. He was coming off a season in which he hit .246/.345/.349 in 121 games. He also made the third most errors among National League shortstops in 1964. Pagan was also 30 years old at the time of the deal, and he was putting up similar numbers on offense with the Giants, hitting .205 in 28 games. He was in his seventh season in the majors, coming off a year in which he hit .223/.289/.264 in 134 games. The trade looked a bit one-sided based on the ages and previous season’s stats, but Pittsburgh was making room for young shortstop Gene Alley at the time.

Pagan only played shortstop in San Francisco in 1965, but he spent most of his time in Pittsburgh at third base during that first season. He lasted with the Pirates until 1972, becoming a utility player, who received decent playing time at third base, shortstop and left field, while occasionally filling in at other spots. He hit .263 with 168 runs, 189 RBIs and a .690 OPS in 625 games with the Pirates. Schofield hit .197 in 112 games for the Giants before they sold him to the New York Yankees in May of 1966. He stuck around the majors until 1971, playing for six different teams after he left Pittsburgh. He had 1.7 WAR in his seven seasons after the deal, while Pagan gave the Pirates 3.5 WAR during his eight years, so the deal basically worked out even. Pagan offered more offensive value, while Schofield offered more defensive value.

The Game

On this date in 1968, Willie Stargell hit three homers and drove in seven runs in a 13-6 victory over the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. During the sixth inning, Stargell just missed his third homer of the game, when he got a double off the left field wall. Two innings later, he put another one over the fence to cap off his day. Stargell drove in six runs in a game four times during his career, but the seven RBIs in one contest is a career high. This game was one of four three-homer games in his career. You can find the boxscore for this game here.